Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Windows Firewall

Windows firewall seems rather pathetic.

For example, I just told it to block everything, no exceptions. This should mean that not only can the internet not access me, but I can't access the internet.

Goes both ways, see?

Now, this works all fine and dandy for things like uTorrent or America's Army, but for some reason some programs, like Firefox or iTunes, can just bypass my firewall. Without my knowledge or consent.

I mean, honestly... Common programs that everyone uses can just waltz right through a perfectly solid firewall. A firewall with no holes, no forwarded ports, nothing. Right now my computer should be completely cut off from the internet. Just as if I didn't have a wireless card at all.

Yet here I am, posting this.

Ergo, there are holes in my firewall. Holes that windows says doesn't exists.

You know what that means?

Windows lied to me.

Do you know what happens when you lie?

You die.

You die and go to hell.

Maybe then it might learn something about inescapable fire.

...all of this to say... Does anybody know of any really good firewalls? Heck, it doesn't even have to be any good at all.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did the same thing, and it does the same.

    My guess is that it allows clear access to internet browsers and Email.

    However, if you try to access something online without using a browser than it will block and ask to allow or continue blocking. This is true for games having online access or links in Adobe Reader.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Agent Delta said…

    Try Zonealarm Free. http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/zonealarm_free_firewall.jsp

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    But Christ died *for* Windows! Oh... no, just people. And sheep, according to Cake.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Chris said…

    I use online armor, which is published by tall emu. If you, like me, are the paranoid type it's not a bad way to go. I use it in conjunction with their antivirus, a squared, a heuristic scanner, threatfire, and pc tools antivirus.

    Fixed:
    "Do you know what happens when you lie?

    You die.

    You die and go to Dell."

    My worst nightmare. [shudder]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home