Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

I blame the DOT

I will be so glad when they get the bridge on the way to work fixed.

The bridge is on County O, a highway going from Walworth the Delevan. I live about a mile west of this road. It's the one I usually take to work. However, they are doing repair work on the bridge. So I've been taking I-43 to work.

I don't really like this, it's a highway, a big highway. I'm just on it for about two miles, I get off the first exit. So I have to merge, and get off the highway twice, (as one always does) in the course of three minutes. I really don't like it. This way also has two traffic lights which are always Red when I get to them. They've been green like 1 in 4 times.

Now usually I make a left turn into the parking lot right after the the second light. But this time the traffic at this light was backed up. A long way. So I decided to go up another 100 so yards to the next light on the street. I haven't used this light very often, but just about every time It's been terribly evil.

Last time I made a right turn, the road was wide enough for two cars, infact it became two lanes later, but it was just one lane at the light. So I pull into this lane, I guy comes along making a left turn and pulls right infront of me. I have to hit the breaks hard to get him to pass. As I continue down this road a lady in a big SUV comes squeezing passed me and the curb, as she doesn't fit where she's not supposed to be she honks at me. I get flustered and as I'm pulling into the lane "right turn only" lane to get on the highway, a guy comes racing through the the "right turn only" right before straight through, I was admittendly not paying as much attention as I should have. But he wasn't supposed to go straight through a turn only lane. I wasn't expecting that.

So this time I come up to make a left turn, I hit it, just as it turns red. I'm pulled out into the middle of the intersection to give me plenty of time to turn, like they thought me. I'm about to clear out the intersection like I'm supposed to, but I'm not exactly out in the intersection, just passed a staggergd stop for trucks to turn. So this one guy takes off as soon as possible. I don't have any time. I manage to wait there, as long as no trucks came by, I would be fine. But of course a truck DID come buy, he makes his left turn around me. Then stops in the middle of the intersection and honks at me. He apparently thought I was in the way. Except that he had plenty of space to get by, and I had no where to go.

I managed to turn my car a bit to the right to "give him space". But the whole thing was quite aggravating.

You know, if Trucks didn't cross the bridge on County O it wouldn't need repair so much. I take it back, I blame it all on trucks. Helicopters should just fly all the stuff every where.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Anan said…

    That's part of what makes Sweden so cool. NO TRUCKS. *And* wonderfully smooth roads... and bike paths... so you don't have to drive everywhere. Several truck drivers did pretty much save my family from certain disaster last year though, so I can't say they're all bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home