Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

"Who's downstairs?" - "Paul is."

I often take off my glasses during church. Wearing my glasses for too long makes my eyes weary. Usually I put them back on when I walk home, except today. So as I'm walking home from church I notice how I can see much clearer than normal. I always seem to see better on bright, sunny days. I think I figured out why.

See, in Drivers Ed, and on the bates method website, I learned that we only see clearly with a small portion of our eyes. Only about three degrees in the center of our vision. Bad eyesight is often because of poor focus. We don't look through the small portion that is clear, we look at everything at once. This stresses the eye. And thus we get... Bad eyesight!

This explains why squinting help us see a little clearer. Because when we squint, we're partially closing up our eyes, covering up part of it. This causes less field of vision to distract from the three degrees of clearness. And... We see a little better.

So, when it's dark out eye's dialate. Making our pupils bigger, making eyesight worse. When it's bright, we get smaller pupils, and better eyesight.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    That's a good observation.

    (Wearing my glasses for too long makes my eyes tired too.)

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Ethan said…

    Aye, what Heidi said. Except for the glasses bit. I don't wear glasses. Ahem.

    And what was with your post title? Come on! You use a random post title and then write something that makes perfect sense? Oh well.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    As I was typing this up my brother wanted to know who was downstairs on the computer, the vocal exchange was the title.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I remember learning that in Driver's Ed!"

    I tend to wear my glasses all the time , but take them off when I at the computer or reading.

    And I must admit I was a bit surprised that the title had nothing to do with post. But hey its your blog ;).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home