Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My Poor Knuckle

It was Sunday evening. I was washing the dishes. Not an uncommon thing to see me do evenings. It is my responsibility to be sure the supper dishes are cleaned. Nothing extraordinary usually happens when I wash the dishes. This last Sunday, however, was an exception.


I was washing one of the Christmas glasses. We got them out early this year. Don't know why. I guess it really doesn't matter. As I was washing this glass, I heard a loud crack. I'm talking a pretty decent one. I'm a little confused, my first thought was that I had broken a bone in my hand. However, I hadn't felt any pain. I then thought that maybe someone else had dropped something in the next room. However, no one seemed to be making any fuss. This all took a rather short time.


Then I realized that it was the glass I had been washing. I quickly took my hands out of the water. I didn't want to be scraped up by glass floating around in the suds. That was when I noticed the knuckle of my right pointer finger, the knuckle closest to my hand. It had a bit of skin cut almost all the way off, and was bleeding pretty bad. Without wasting any more time I rinsed off my knuckle and immediately applied pressure. It took forever to stop the bleeding.


It took forever because it was not just skin that I had lost, it was a chunk of flesh. It wasn't that much, except for the fact it came from my knuckle. The cut being on the knuckle, I couldn't keep the bit of flesh almost severed from my hand. For the knuckle is a bit of one's body that is constantly moving, constantly stretching. It could never heal together properly. Unfortunately there was just barely too much for me to rip it off. So I had to cut it. Painful. However, the bleeding stopped entirely not too soon after that. It hadn't stopped entirely before I cut the skin off, even after I applied pressure for such a long time.


Now I can't put too much stress on my right hand without inducing too much pain. Unfortunately, I'm right handed. This has resulted in me being even more clumsy than usual.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    Ouch! Poor Paul. Did you figure out how the glass managed to break?

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope your knuckle feels better soon, bud.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    The glass broke because I was washing the inside of the glass, and my hand was a bit big.

    Putting that little pressure on the inside of the glass was surprisingly enough to break it.

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger Nat said…

    That's the coolest minor injury story I've read in a long time.

    Also, ah, sorry! Sounds ghastly.
    Don't punch anyone any time soon.

     
  • At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi. I seem to have found your blog. How's the knuckle? I know from experience that gashing knuckles isn't too much fun. ..especially when it's your own.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Anan said…

    OOOOOOOOUCH!!!!! Perhaps you can't do school now? :-p Hope it is healed or will be soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home