Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Zoophobia


Fact # 3: I think I'm slightly zoophobic.

It's not like I'll see a cat and run away screaming, but I do feel a little uneasy around animals.

The first time I visited the Rheins', I didn't see their dog until the morning of the second day. Looked like a small long-haired bear. I paused, my knife half-way through my bagel, watching it very, very cautiously.

I don't pick up the cat. Other people pick up the cat. Just grab her and pet her while the walk the ten feet into the next room. I will occasionally grab her around her middle, and throw her three feet off to the side if she's in a place she's not supposed to be, but never more than that. I'll pet her, but I'm always watching her claws.

Everyone in my family loves horses. Just loves them to pieces. They're okay, except when they're being stubborn and stupid, which is all the time. I haven't met a horse that seems to like me. I hear comments about how whatever horse I'm leading is usually nice. Right... Do you have any idea how big their hoofs are? They could kill a man with one swift kick, he wouldn't have any idea what hit him. (get it? eh? eh?)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger the celebrated author said…

    Oh my. You were afraid of Pepin?? She was the least threat of any dog i've ever met, including teeny ones. The worst she's ever done to me is step on my board game and mess up all the pieces. But she did look imposing. I'll grant you that.

    Maybe i was too used to her.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well your okay with Lucky. I still see you tense up a little bit but your a lot better than you were previously.

    As for horses I take them or leave them. I like them as creatures and respectable tamed animals. That's as far as I go.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    It was that one cow that did it.

    Blame the cow.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    I live next to a small horse farm, and I don't like horses. Not one bit. Nu uh.
    Welll... okay, the miniature horses are kiiinda cute, but that's only because they're about the same size as a German Shepherd. But I wouldn't want to own one.

    Cats are awesome, though. Except for Persian ones.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home