Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Dell Vostro Notebook


I'm looking into getting a computer. Thinking laptop. They're portable, but they can't play games. If this is going to be the computer I use at college, I don't want to be playing computer games, I want to be studying. That's a double win for the laptop.

Nathan pointed out the Vostro Notebook. I compaired it to notebooks from the Best Buy and Wal-Mart websites. It looks like a pretty good computer for it's price. Add to that the fact I can get it with XP instead of Vista and it's on sale. If I get the second column, the first upgrade (Fall Super Sale, Smart Value Package), It's $165 off, plus free shipping.

The biggest problem I can think of is that it's only got 80G of hard drive space. But I can get an external hard drive for that.

Does anyone have any comments? Critisizm? (besides the fact that it's a Dell )

2 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Nat said…

    I think it's funny that you say laptops can't play games. I know what you mean, but still. My oldest sister is giving me her old clamshell iBook (circa 2000), with its 3-6G harddrive and 300-466 MHz processing power. I want it for NaNoWriMo mostly, but I can't count the number of games I'll end up playing on it at some point. Marathon, Myth, Doom, Descent, Galapagos, Glimmer, Prince of Persia, Flashback, Dark Forces, Lunicus, Discworld, Monkey Island, 3 in Three, Dungeon Master 2 and Monster Hunter come to mind. If I can only track down a copy of Monster Hunter, that is...

    And then there's the comment about the harddrive, heh. My desktop has a >30G hard drive, supplemented by liberal use of my 40G iPod for storage. We got a 500G external harddrive, but the PC doesn't communicate with it so it's a pain to use. I've thought about getting an external for my computer but spending money makes me itch.

    I fully understand the comment about not wanting to be playing games, though. Just... understand what you're up against. Remember that most of the new games suck. :P

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Remember that most of the new games suck. :P"

    Sad but true. Gone are the days of originality and on with the mainstream.

    Anyway my only complaint would be that its a dell. Their service has gotten better, but I still don't trust them entirely.

    As for gaming with Laptops they've come along quite well. Heck you can get a laptop with MY specs for about the same price nowadays and I've been able to play quite a lot games. So unless you want to play something ultra-fancy like Bioshock instead of good ol' Age of Empires or Starcraft you'll be fine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home