Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Friday, November 02, 2007

A Two-Act Piggly Wiggly Drama

I have a visit to Concordia University Wisconsin scheduled for the tenth. That is a Saturday. Now, even though I'm not usually scheduled to work on Saturdays, it can happen. So for a while now I've been meaning to tell my boss about this. I want to make sure that I'm not scheduled to work, and to visit a college on the same day.

Notice I've said, "For a while now." Notice how that implies that I haven't yet mentioned it to my boss. I didn't write that by accident. I wrote that because I have, infact, failed to mention it to this boss of mine.

So this morning at around 8 o'clock, just before work, I sprint upstairs to his office to tell him. It needs to be before work because this day is Friday, and Fridays are when the schedules for the next weeks are written. He was discussing something or other with our "Scan Coordinator Manager" who was seated opposite from him across the desk. Apparently it wasn't too important or urgent because he was able to attend to me as soon as I walked through the door.

"Quick, before you write the schedule, I need to tell you I'll be up in Mequon next Saturday," I say, rather hurriedly.

He look a little thoughtful for a moment before responding, "Okay, thanks." But our "Scan Coordinator Manager" asked, slightly sarcastically, "Mequon? What are you doing there?"

"I'll be visiting CUW," I respond. "It's a college," I add, realizing that they might not recognize CUW as an acronym for Concordia University Wisconsin.

"Aw crap," our "Scan Coordinator Manager" mutters, "We're gonna' loose Paul too."

I felt kinda bad about it, but I also felt good. It means they like me.

---

Near the end of my four hour schedule my boss asks if I could stay another hour. Until 1 o'clock instead of 'till noon. Now, I'm using my parents' car instead of mine because it's in the shop. I tell him I'll have to call home to ask if they mind me keeping the car a little longer.

I get behind the counter of the service desk, figure out the complicated phone, and call home. Nobody answers. I call the church line. Nobody answers. My logical conclusion? That nobody is home. Now, If nobody's home, nobody will be the only body to care that the car isn't back at noon. I (and the car) can stay.

At about quarter after my mom shows up. She had been waiting out in the parking lot for fifteen minutes for me to come out. Fifteen minutes. Why was she waiting for me for fifteen minutes?

Apparently the stove wasn't working right, and everyone had bundled into the van to go to the Pizza Hut down the street from my store. Their plan was to be at Pizza Hut at noon, and drop mom off to intercept me as I left Piggly Wiggly.

That was why nobody was home. And even though nobody was home, a body did care about me staying too long. Four bodies to be exact.

I have to admit, it was a pretty clever plan. It just happened that the one hole in it managed to get exploited. I don't often get asked to stay, but today was a rare exception, with major consequences.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    Nah, not major consequences. Just amusement. And at least we missed the rush of the high-school crowd.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You write very well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home