Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pet Shops


So, apparently nobody really likes our boss. I had suspected this before, but yesterday I found out for sure. See, the assistant manager is planning this exodus. She and a couple of cashiers (maybe a few others) are all planning on applying at the Pet Smart that's opening just down the road. Apparently they like me, and want me to come along.

I really don't know about this. I've just now gotten the hang of swing of this job pretty well; it would be rather futile to just change right now. I do rather like the people that're leaving, and I don't dislike our boss, but I'm not the most fond of him. For example the one time It was snowing something terrible in November, I called in to say that if he still wanted me to come in, I'd be terribly late. All he said was to be sure to be here even if it took 'till noon to shovel. When I got in an hour late, I didn't even get a thank you, Though the managers of the other departments exclaimed that it was awesome that I actually came in.

However, I really don't know if this is just me being selfish (asking for some undeserved thank you) or not. This is my first job (the paper rout doesn't count as the same), so I have nothing to compare it with.
It also seems like it would be a poor spot on my reputation to just up and leave for another store. They would look at me and say, "How do we know that you wont just leave us?" Also, they always ask in interviews why I want to work for them. So if I did do this, what would I tell them? "My assistant manager asked me to?" Then when the call my boss to ask what kind of employee I am, he'll most likely want to know why I want to leave.

Any reasons I can think of as to why I'm not fond of this job are either totally bad reasons (there is no completely fun work) or I really don't know if it is a good reason.

Well, except for the fact that I'm completely and totally exhausted when I get home. I've really picked up the pace as work the past few months, and I've been getting more and more exhausted. I don't have hardly any energy for school and I'm getting behind. So I was thinking about possibly asking if they're in need of cashiers. That definitely looks like less exhausting work. The problem with this is that (I feel egotistical saying this) I've got to do at least as much work as the other two guys combined.

So, thinking about all of this, I wonder if this is what people mean when they say, "stress"?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Heidi said…

    Hmm, being exhausted all the time is no good. Is it emotionally or physically? I do think that joining the mass exodus wouldn't be very good, but what is work going to be like for you after they leave? That's important too. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home