Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Canada

So I think I've at least mentioned to everyone that I'm going to Canada, but I don't think I've told anyone when. Some of y'all may have found out from other sources when I'm going, but I doubt y'all did.

Anyway, I'll tell ya' now. It was this past week. (So that is why, if any of you tried to contact me recently, it didn't work.)

Now you're going to want to know how my trip went, right? That's okay, I was planning on telling you anyway.

We went to the town/city of St. Catharines for a conference. It was about the Pastor and Songwriter Paul Gerhardt. He was born 400 years ago this year. It was pretty cool. We had Dr. Kleinig speaking. Some of the other speakers I liked more, some less. But on the whole it is pretty cool.

There was the problem there were hardly any other people my own age there. In fact, beside my siblings, the only other people around my age were the Tomesch girls, and I really don't know them. I would have introduced myself, but, It's awkward enough to introduce yourself to a single person, but it can be done. When they're all in the middle of a conversation with each other, it's about 10x more awkward. (Just imagine, "Hi, I'm a stranger, and I'm here to hang out with you, don't worry about it, just continue your conversation.")

So what was my impression of Canada? I was only mostly in the Golden Horseshoe area, and just traveled through Southwestern Ontario. It was a lot like the US, except that one-way and yield signs didn't have any words on them, everything was metric, they had funny money, and the Canadian flag was everywhere. The Tim Hortons restaurants were everywhere too, there were more of those than McDs.

It also reminded me of Texas a bit. The Southwestern bit especially. The land seemed "bigger" than Wisconsin's, and there were few trees and fewer people. It was also pretty hot. Though I think that that was just the Midwestern region weather, and not an isolated climate phenomenon.

After the conference we stayed around for a bit and saw the locks, the falls, and toured a winery. I can't imagine why anyone would want to see the falls from the American side. It didn't seem like they had a good view at all.

I also saw a couple episodes of Andromeda, the 20 and 22 episodes of the fourth season. Real good place to start, I know.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Il grande chef said…

    Your blog is very interesting.
    Bye bye

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    And you yourself are very interesting...

    Is there anything in particular that you find interesting?

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow you went to Canada? Guess I was left out of telling everyone part. From what I hear its a very nice place to go to.

    Encountered some of that awkwardness myself, though thankfully not too often.

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Really? I had thought I mentioned it to you. Maybe I was too casual about it...

    ...or maybe I hadn't told as many people as I thought...

    Curse my poor memory for not knowing! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home