Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Higher Things, For You, Post #2

Okay, what I really thought of the conference. ;-)

I could pay attention. I have a terrible attention span. Terrible. So, when it's about half way through Pr. Stiegemeyer's second sectional, I realize that I've been paying attention. Not just to his sectional, but to all of the so far. I could remember them, all of them, with an unnatural clarity. That I began to freak out. Not big, nothing that would be noticeable by others, but I did. Took me a while to calm myself down.

Yet, even though I could pay attention really well, I don't think I learned as much as I did other years. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, and I did learn loads. Just... not as much.

As much as I'd like to think that's just because I'm smarter now than I was then. I honestly think it was toned down. (This was why I could pay attention, it was made easier to understand.)

I remember Pr. Wilkin's plenary section. He took one whole session to say that "everybody loves Jesus". Not the true Jesus who died for you and took away your sins. But a fake, happy, all smiles, buddy Jesus. He spoke slowly and clearly, he showed us lots of pictures that reinforced his point (and were often humorous), and really nailed that point into us good and solid.

I don't think he said that much. But what he did say, he really made us understand.

...which is good. I'll probably remember a lot of what I learned last week for longer than what I've learned at other conferences.

I think my only major irritation (besides the constant stream of jokes about "for you", having half the housing over a mile off site and the ballgame take 3rd and 4th) was the poor job of naming the sectionals. The titles seemed largely disconnected from what the topics where really about.

My only excuse for that is that in past years i usually picked sectionals based on which pastors where teaching them. But this year (because I knew so few pastors there) I picked them based on the topic. So maybe I never really went in looking for an exact topic before.

On the whole I very much enjoyed it. At least as much, if not more, that last year's "The Feast". (though I did miss all y'all who weren't there)

1 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you enjoyed the conference :) It was a pleasure finally meeting you.

    It sounds like you met quite a few other women too ;)

    -luvable lutheran

     

Post a Comment

<< Home