Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Much Ado About Nothing

We went to APT yesterday. It was quite a day.

We spent Thursday night in a hotel on the west side of Madison. It was a Radisson. Quite a fancy little joint. They had a small gym, bacon and eggs for breakfast, and conference rooms. Schnazzy.

I remember being told that it was by the China1Buffet place that we had dinner with Bartletts the one time. "By" was an understatement. It was right across the little street. We could have read the days special on their sign if they did that sort of thing. Which they don't.

Being about an hour and a half closer to Spring Green than we usually are, we had time to kill before leaving. I took advantage of the Cable to watch that Jack Bauer show. You know... the one where he saves the world every 24 hours? Yeah. It was slower than I realized. Having everything in real time is reather disconcerting.

The play was awesome. I'd seen the Kenneth Branagh version once a long time ago, but had fogotten most of it. I Benedick seemed like a bit of a dork. Not just in the way he was portrayed (which was a bit dorky) but in what he said.

I liked Friar Francis's line, "She must die to live." That was cool.

Afterwards on our way over to the other side of the city, we stopped by a shopping center on the West Side. The parents wanted something at some store. I don't know what they wanted, or what the store was, but across the parking lot I saw these two buildings.

I was amazed at how... modern they looked. This picture is a little grainy, so it ruins the effect a little, but it's still striking.

After a whiles reflection I think it's not entirely the style that makes it look modern, but how it's got that "just built" look. The buildings are clean, the trees are small, the parking lot is smooth, etc.

But still. The roof, the pillars, and the windows, especially the windows, are all quite a modern style.

It's just missing a Starbucks.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    That's a cute picture of Maggie and David...

    And I think, although I'm not sure, that that building may in fact be the old Borders... you'd have to ask mom or daddy, though.

    The University Avenue store was close to the west side about seven years ago...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home