Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Stardust ...again!


Every time I hear the Can-can I'm going to think of Robert De Niro in a petticoat.

Other than that it was an awesome movie. A grand adventure and an excellent fairy tale. Septimus was an excellent villain and Tristran a true hero.

It followed all the proper rules for a good fairy tale/fantasy novel, and yet was still original. A superbly climatic ending. Just all around done well.

Even though I haven't read the book, (which I'm sure I'll have to do now) I'm quite certain that there were many parts that deviated from it. Just by looking at how it was presented.

Though it seems to me that the more a director tries to keep true to all the details of the book, the more the movie lacks in overall presentation of the movie. Books and movies are fundamentally different media outlets, much is lost in translation. It always pleases me to see a director deviate the movie just enough from the book so that it's enjoyable to those who have not obsessed over the book.

(Yes, this means I fail at being a geek. Sue me.)

3 Comments:

  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Anan said…

    ::sue!sue!sue!::

    I just wanna watch it for the dresses. ;-p

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seeing Robert De Niro doing the Can-Can is worth the ticket price in my book.

    I never read the book either but thought it was a great story. Simple, not too over the top, and funny.

    MUCH better than Eragon. So Paul now we're even ;)

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger NICUNurse said…

    I haven't read the book, either...I want to and probably should have read it first, but I didn't want to wait to see the movie ;)
    It was SUCH a good movie. Just about perfect. And Robert DeNiro was hilarious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home