Living the Middle Life

In soviet Russia, the middle life is living.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Written communication


So I'm taking a writing class up at Gateway tech. As my mom put it, "Paul thinks he's going up there to learn, I just want him to get a grade from someone who's not me. I could teach him writing myself if I just wanted him to learn"

My first class was today. I don't know why they're starting so early.

I decided I ought to listen to Lyrical Life Science on the way up. After all, if I have to do a forty minute drive there and back 32 times this fall, I might as well get some extra schoolwork in there.

Unfortunately the power adapter I brought along to power the CD player refused to work. I found out later, after I got home, that this was because the outlet didn't work. Why didn't the outlet work? Because it wasn't attached to any cables. the whole outlet just came right out in my hands.

Shame.

I got there really early. Boy was it ever dark in there. So my first act was to find the lightswitch.

Funny thing: We naturally divided up into a girls side and a boys side. All but one guy sat on the one side of the room. (no, that guy was not me :-P )

The first class was less of a lesson, and more of an introduction. We were given the syllabus and were told to write a short paragraph about an interesting event of our lives. (I wrote about dancing like a crazy maniac. It got quite a few laughs.)

The teacher then read all of our paragraphs, and we were to try and guess who wrote them. It was a combined: name learning exercise, learning small bits about classmates, and giving the teacher a sample of your writing.

I must be a pretty suspicious guy, because people kept suspecting me. One time, even thought I told them I was only 17 earlier, they still threw me suspicious looks when someone wrote about going to the Bahamas where the drinking age was 18, and getting totally plastered. :-P

I'm really such a nice guy, why do people keep calling me evil? 0:-)

The only homework we were assigned was to read a two page story about "Engfish", and try to figure out what it is. (Apparently Engfish is the dull, unimaginative way of writing they teach you in schools. I didn't figure out 'till the end that Engfish was supposed to be a bad thing, so it was a bit confusing for me.)

After class, when I was on my way to the car to go home, I noticed a bunch of classmates hanging around a table with food on it. Remembering the teacher had said they were giving away free food that day, I went over to check it out. The one guy who had written about Kendo in his personal paragraph was there. I noticed he had on the "3vil l33t" shirt. Turns out he was also homeschooled. We shared Chuck Norris quotes.

Mine: "Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his good looks and martial art abilities. He then round house kicked the devil and took back his soul. The devil, who knew he should have seen it coming, couldn't stay angry and now they play poker every Saturday night.

His: "When Chuck Norris eats salad, he leaves nothing but the bones."

"People argue that Chuck Norris can't be the best at everything, because he had learned everything from his father. The truth is that he invented the time machine, went back, and fathered himself."

4 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Nat said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Nat said…

    Mine:

    All pain is mental, it's just in your mind. Except when Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicks you. That just ****ing hurts.

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    My fave:

    There is a cure for cancer- that cure is Chuck Norris' tears.

    Tragically, Chuck Norris never cries.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ^ has a nice ring to it I thought.

    awesome your taking a writing class and from the likes of it sounds pretty cool.

    Ahhh Chuck Norris. Do you ever get old? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home